Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tales of THE City



San Francisco is THE city. I had no idea. I was like, fuck San Francisco and the hippies and the faggots and give me a real working class city like Boston or Chicago. Well, I take it back. I spent a couple days in San Francisco and I fell in love with it. Hard. I've decided I will live there some day. Don't know how I'd afford it, but it will happen.

But for the time being, I'm going to revisit the city in the fiction of Armistead Maupin. I just read his first Tales of the City.

I'm really not much for writing reviews. I'll leave that to Divine and M.T. I'll just recommend the book. It's a soap opera. Ridiculous things happen. But it's the characters that keep you going. The relationships (straight and gay) are believable. You really do care about the characters and you want them to find love. San Francisco in the '70s was a time of free love; yet people struggled to find true love. ECK. This is why I don't write reviews. Vomit. It's a great book. Read it.

I'm going to watch the PBS series when I go visit M.T. in a week--he owns the DVD collection. I can't wait to see what they did with it.

Then I'll have to see the musical. Did you hear about this? Avenue Q guy and Scissor Sisters' band members are working on the musical slated to hit Broadway in 2009/2010.

I just started reading another San Franciscan novel: The Mayor of Castro Street: The Life and Times of Harvey Milk by Randy Shilts. I've seen the Academy Award-winning documentary The Times of Harvey Milk--if you haven't seen it, rent it, Netflix it, get it. And soon, we'll be seeing Gus Van Sant's film starring Sean Penn as Milk.

No comments: